At the Bubble and Squeak Collective we confront the (often harsh) realities of the industry and encourage actors to push through them fearlessly, with bold choices and total conviction.
It is based on the US model of continuous acting training for professionals and was founded 9 years ago by Paul McNeilly.
We run pay-as-you-go workshops on Tuesday nights from 7pm-10pm in Shoreditch, London. We occasionally accept gifted beginners and intermediates.
Actors primarily come to the Bubble and Squeak Collective for these main reasons:
1) To keep sharp, and take artistic risks in a high-stakes, no-excuses environment. All performance places the actor ‘on the spot’; how they deal with that and learn to thrive under pressure will often determine how successful they will be.
2) Via our extensive industry contacts, the Bubble and Squeak Collective can be a ‘gateway’ for actors seriously looking to make headway into the profession.
3) To complete their drama training. If a 1 year course doesn’t cover the basics, or people leave a course early, we can make up the difference.
4) To regain and nuture self-confidence.
While we do not seek to retrain professional actors, we advocate an intensely practical approach that draws on many theorists, with an emphasis on emotional truth and integrity of approach. We cover both film and theatre.
Price: £15. (Some of the CD workshops may be more).
Our workshops/showcases have led to over 55 offers of representation from agents such as Felix de Wolfe, Elaine Murphy, Shane Collins, Billboard Personal Management, Forbes–Sutherland Management and Westwood/Meredith Management, and RD Casting.
We invite filmmakers, directors and producers to watch our classes when seeking to cast their projects.
We have had actors placed in roles in TV (including BBC and Channel Four), leads for The Discovery Channel, numerous feature films (Community, Kick Ass 2, Untold Story), two internet series, numerous short films, plus our showcases in the West End of London and at The Winterflood Theatre, St. Paul’s.
‘I got two jobs in South Africa! One on a BBC show called ‘Our Girl‘ and now a role on the US ‘Black Sails‘. I can’t thank you enough because without your guidance and training I would have been lost. Thank you again for everything’. Laura Higgins.
‘I am amazed at the standard‘ ~ Beth Charkham, Casting Director, Birds of a Feather, The Queen Of The Desert, Man Behaving Badly, The Ruth Rendell Mysteries
‘The standard is very high’ ~ Irene Cotton, CD, Steppenwolf Theatre, The Old Vic, The Bill.
”Go to this people…if last night’s show at the Phoenix is anything to go by, these are the ones to watch”. Barry Ryan, Executive Producer ‘Agatha Raisin, Sky TV, Free at Last TV, 2Queens TV (with Martina Cole).
‘I am truly eternally grateful to you for putting such wonderful people and talented actors in touch with me…the guys I have worked with have truly blown me away. I am so overwhelmed by the talent involved, and a lot of that is due to you…your name is often
mentioned when talking to the actors about where they found out about the series…’. Ibi Vaughan, Producer ‘Glue’ (E4).
Performance Programme 2017:
Performance preparation for camera. Intensive theatre study. Showcase.
Four month, in-depth, screen acting course
Jamie Eastlake – Artistic Director, Theatre N16
Doug Tang – Producer/Writer/Director
James Hughes – Producer/Writer/Director
Our Spring-Summer Programme 2015:
Sean Cronin – Film Maker (London Hood)
Irene Cotton – Casting Director (Steppenwolf Theatre Co, Chicago)
Andrea Clark – Casting Director (Hellboy, Mutant Chronicles)
Beth Charkham – Casting Director (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Men Behaving Badly, Birds of a Feather)
Suzy Catliff – Casting Director (Sense and Sensibility, Murdoch Mysteries)
Thomas Adams – Casting Director (Fruitcake London)
Lance Steen Anthony Nielsen – Film Maker/Director (The Journey – Winner, Best Director, St Tropez Film Festival)
Sharon Sorrentino – Casting Director (Pegasus Bridge)
Our Summer Programme 2014:
Nichola Whitworth – Agent (Michelle Braidman Ascociates(
Gavin Denton Jones – Agent (CAM)
Sarah Leung – Casting Director (Children of Men, Law and Order, Waterloo Road)
Paul Knight – Feature Film Director/Producer
Jane Deitch – Casting Director (formerly Head of Casting at BBC, Waking The Dead)
Our fantastic 2014 Spring Programme
of top casting directors and industry professionals:
Dan Hubbard (The Bourne Ultimatum, King Kong, The Bourne Supremacy)
Lucy Jenkins (RSC, Warhorse, Vampire Diaries)
Carl Proctor (Rome, The Bible, The Kidnap Diaries)
Hammond Cox Casting – (Feature films – Spaceship, Hollows. Theatre – Othello)
Sarah Hughes – (Frantic Assembly T.C. and Alan Ayckborn’s CD. TV – Jonathan Creek, Rock and Chips)
Nigel Douglas – TV Director (Bad Girls, Hotel Babylon, Wild at Heart)
Simone Reynolds – CDG (Theatre – Royal Court, Films – Lamb, The Firm)
Michael Keane – Agent (Elaine Murphy Associates)
Gavin Denton-Jones – Agent (CAM)
“… I trained under Paul McNeilly. I didn’t really go to a drama college or anything like that – it was just him and he taught me everything. He even taught me a little bit of directing and writing. You can never know too much about the business – it’s always helpful.” Charlie Clapham, (Freddie Roscoe, Hollyoaks) – Digital Spy
We also hold talks and workshops given by film-makers, producers, and agents. As well as the names above, this impressive list also includes:
- Greg Loftin – Director/writer of Saxon (European Independent Feature Film of the Year, 2008)
- Kathleen Hutchison – Executive Producer of Holby City, EastEnders, BBC1
- Barry Ryan – MD of Free@Last TV, and Two Queens TV (with Martina Cole)
- John McDonald – Award winning author, screenwriter, ‘Tribe’
- Sam Holland – Writer/director ‘Zebra Crossing’ (European Independent Feature Film of the Year 2009)
- Daniel Tatarsky – Agent, Billboard Personal Management
- Gary Holding – Features Producer at Loud Mouse Films
New Town Films – Producers of feature films ‘Community’, and ‘This Is Essex’
- Bertie Watkins – Producer ‘Jack The Ripper’, Crow Theatre
- Oli Rose – Director ‘Pilgrim’s Progress’, Associate Director, ‘Chariots of Fire’, Gielgud Theatre, West End
- Stephanie Rodriguez – Casting Associate to Sarah Crowe, BBC1, Channel Four
- Shaka Bunsie – Producer ‘Pilgrim’s Progress’, ‘New Voices’ Producer at the Old Vic
- Shane Collins – Agent
- A.J. McAndrews – Film Producer, LA and London
Below is a film we conceived, developed and filmed in a single two hour workshop, on a cold winter’s night in Brick Lane, East London.
‘I would suggest looking no further than the Bubble and Squeak Collective if the development of your discipline is acting. Nowhere will you be exposed to a greater plethora of experiences within the study. Paul McNeilly’s generous approach and meticulous teaching
style will guide you through the nuances of the industry. Writer/ Producer Doug Tang
Such as been the success of our weekly workshops that we are delighted to announce the opening of our new drama school, The Industry School of Acting in 2018. We offer an intensive 1 year, 4 term acting course, focusing 75% on screen acting, allied to the discipline of theatre. Http://industryactingschool.org.uk